Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 July 2013

Head Space Daily Words...

As the freelance world of broadcast promos, content, creativity and production continues to elude me - I am available for promos, writing, brandspots, shoots and sale tapes, across all genres; contact me for further details - I have decided to get fit through running. Today was my third run and although I have completed each one, gasping for air, with a face the colour combination of tomato and beetroot, there has been noticeable improvement already. To put it simply, I am running for fifteen minutes around the block. The key factors I am learning, are pace and gradient. On my first run, I went like the clappers, obviously excited to be wearing a pair of ill fitting shorts and bouncy new running trainers. I set out like Mo Farah and was half way around in lightning pace, before I hit a slight incline, which continues for much of the rest of the route home. I say slight, because you don't think about it when you are walking but running is a different matter. My first run, having not paced it out, saw me having to walk the final stretch, panting like Scooby. For my second run, the sky was overcast - perfect for seam bowling - and it was a touch cooler. Gasping, I arrived back, barely able to breathe after fifteen minutes but I didn't have to stop and walk the streets home like some (un)athletic delinquent, in the full gaze of buggy pushing mothers. Today was my third run and it was all fine until the slight up hill section where I became aware that I was trying to run faster and push myself harder. The only reason I can think of for doing this, is that on school cross country runs, whenever we had to run up hills, there would be a sergeant major type PE teacher yelling at us to keep moving and screaming at us to not stop. Fear would drive us up that hill. Some reverse psychology is in order and slowing it down a touch next time has to be the way forward. I am nearly forty and no longer have to worry about a hairy arsed teacher putting me through my paces. By slowing my pace down a touch, I may be less prone to scaring the neighbours as I come home gasping for air, as if I have been putting myself through some kind of oxygen deprived torture. You never know, in a few weeks, I may be up to twenty minutes. Onwards and upwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for getting in touch...